Display advertising comprises of all those ads that you see on web pages. Almost all the websites have these types of advertisements. And the reason behind including them on the website pages is to monetize the web traffic. The objective is to give visitors a window to click on the ads so that they are directed to the ad owner’s business website. So, at the face of it, it looks like display advertising is a perfect means of bringing in the potential customers directly to a commercial website. In fact, this form of marketing has been in trend for quite few years. But is display advertising a really rewarding marketing effort let’s check in detail!
Going by the recent surveys and resultant statistics, display advertising does not seem to be producing the desired amount of clicks. It has been found that engagement rate of display ads is incredibly low. This is a serious cause of concern for entrepreneurs and small businesses. They take resort in these ads in the hope of garnering a good amount of clicks so that more people can directly come to the online business site of the ad owner. But sadly, the standard 468×60 ad has only a click through rate (CTR) of 0.04% while that of average banner ad is 0.1%. These could become a serious issue of concern for the business owners who may be pouring in huge amount of money into display advertising.
Some Alarming Facts
Culled from popular ad marketing websites SolveMedia, comScore, DoubleClick and GoldSpotMedia, here are some staggering facts about display advertising that all businesses must know.
- Do not think that everyone is clicking on display ads. The surveys reveal that only 8% of the website visitors account for 85% of clicks on the ads. What is more alarming that some of these clicks come from non-human sources!
- Are you sure that your banner ad will be remembered? Well, know that an average user is served more than 1,700 ads per month. How many of those ads do they actually remember?
- Now, moving on to Click through Rate (CTR). Display ads generate an average CTR of just 0.1%.
- If your hopes rest on getting more clicks on mobile ads, then you go to know that 50% clicks on mobile ads are accidental. This means that a majority of people clicking on the ads are unlikely to buy from your online store.
What Should You Do Now?
The above mentioned stats can discourage even a die-hard fan of display ads. After all, what is the point in investing in the ads if only few of the users are going to click on it? So, are these ads a shear waste of time and money? Remember that though these ads may not be generating an expected amount of clicks, still they are a good marketing tool for your business in numerous ways. Why, let’s see?
To highlight the positive side of these ads, we are quoting the words of John Lowell, Starcom USA SVP, Director, Research & Analytics head. He says, “A click means nothing, earns no revenue and creates no brand equity. Your online advertising has some goal – and it’s certainly not to generate clicks. You want people to visit your website, seek more information, purchase a product, become a lead, keep your brand top of mind, learn something new, feel differently – the list goes on. Regardless of whether the consumer clicked on your ad or not, the key is to determine how that ad unit influenced them to think, feel or do something they wouldn’t have done otherwise.”
This clearly tells us that the success of display ads does not lie in its capacity to encourage more clicks, rather than influence the users or visitors to feel something about your business!
So, what are the things that go a long way in ascertaining the success of the display ads?
(a) Design Matters a Lot
Perhaps that brings our attention to the most important aspect of display ads, the designing part. Needless to say, design is one thing that offers visitors or users with a realistic feel of the business. Rather, it is the design that portrays something positive and useful about the business in the minds of the users. They see your ad on a web page and their brain registers its design in mind and recalls it later when they go out in the market or see your ads elsewhere. So, your design must be memorable, professional in its layout and selection of colors, typefaces, slogans and images to create a long lasting impact.
In fact, ads design plays a vital role in its success in terms of inviting people to click on ads and also in influencing them to feel good about your business. So, even when the users do not click on your display ads, an excellently designed ad works up to your advantage highlighting the key attributes of your business.
(b) How to Get That Perfect Graphic Design for Display Advertising
Creative display ad design communicates with your target audience and summons their attention and interest. However, getting the visitors’ interest in your ad is not an easy task and you might end up wasting a lot of time and money without any fruitful accomplishments.
So, what is the option that can help you yield effective results in minimum cost investments? Hiring a digital marketing agency, for instance offers countless opportunities for creating purposeful display ads at a very cheap price, so you can look at that. Business owners can launch display ads on high traffic websites for some highly creative and awesome display ads. With an effective ad copy, you can call upon a host of potential customers to showcase their portfolio. With a little feedback and focused approach on the received quiries, you too might acquire a stunning display ads for your business.
What Benefits Do Display Ads Offer?
We can cite some good reasons for display ads appearing on web pages frequently.
- First, the ads do not interrupt the content that is adjoining the ads. The readers can consume the content without much interfering from the ads.
- Secondly, with display ads, you are sure that the users or visitors will see it on the web pages, even if they do not click on it. Compare this with the email marketing. Your email message may end up in spam box of the receiver.
- Thirdly, you can use display ads as retargeting ads. Retargeting ads can be used to get attention of the people who once visited your site but left it soon for some different reasons. You can contact them individually or collectively and show them the relevant ads to remind them of your business. You already know them from their previous interaction with your website and so your ad can get them back to your business site for a relook.
Don’t see display ads only as a way of acquiring more clicks for your business site. Rather, visualize these ads as a piece of visual graphic design artwork that showcases your business in a larger prospect. Your display ads may not generate clicks s expected, but don’t avoid them as these ad designs serve your business message strongly and convincingly.